We’re looking for a creative, astute, experienced, digital-friendly leader to be Youth Collaboratory’s Communications Manager. This person will run our growing communication efforts, and develop and curate creative content in partnership with our program team. We're looking for someone with the passionate heart of a storyteller, a high-speed start-up metabolism, a love of the internet, a deep understanding of the digital generation, and the savviness to coordinate projects with in-house staff and outside partners. This is a great opportunity for someone who is familiar with using more than words to create highly shareable multimedia content, a track record of successfully engaging people, and an interest in helping Youth Collaboratory build its audience and coverage of issues important to our community.
About Youth Collaboratory:
Youth Collaboratory harnesses the power of the youth services community to innovate, evaluate, and drive effective strategies that assure the safety and well-being of youth and young adults, unlocking their limitless potential.
We believe in…
- rooting our work in practice and research.
- having a blast doing what we do and with whom we do it.
- advancing equity and inclusion.
- focusing on long-term impact while nimbly responding to changing conditions.
- tapping into the power of “many minds” to solve complex problems.
- honoring and respecting people and relationships.
Our greatest strength lies in our ability to engage and retain a dynamic network of hundreds of organizations across all 50 states. Together, we are able to advance the work of communities in real-time, raise the level of conversation around key issues, increase cross-sector communication, drive national research, and increase support. In the last few years, our network has experienced significant growth – attracting innovators in practice, funding, and research and our core membership has grown 450%. But to make the kind of difference we want to make, we need to build our ability to educate and engage at a faster (and more meaningful) rate.
That’s where you come in.
What you’ll do:
- Work with the Director of Strategic Initiatives to develop, implement, and evaluate Youth Collaboratory’s communications plan. This plan will be informed by our business development goals, market and audience analysis, our competitive advantage, best practices in nonprofit communication, and grant and contract deliverables.
- Regularly improve our communication approach to ensure it aligns with our brand, emphasizes our competitive advantage, and models our values. Use data and editorial instinct to identify and create the kinds of stories our audience wants to read and share.
- Communicate our work in a way that aligns with our identity, correctly positions us to implement our organizational and programmatic strategies, and effectively describes our impact. This includes website, social media, email, public presentations and webinars, partner meetings, and podcasts.
- Develop, analyze, and track growth strategies across content distribution channels. This includes communicating key metrics to staff, and ideating and strategizing new ideas related to digital storytelling and distributions.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of Youth Collaboratory’s website, and manage our social media accounts.
- Support program, business, and fund development strategies through the coordination, design, review, and distribution of related communication content and materials. This includes ongoing design and branding of materials from one-page handouts, to slide decks, to portfolios for multi-day meetings.
Our ideal candidate:
- Connects with Youth Collaboratory’s mission. You are excited about applying the craft of storytelling to the most important topics impacting vulnerable youth and families, in a way that engages audiences, builds empathy, and moves them toward action.
- Has at least 3 years of experience working in a communications department or media company, or equivalent self-taught experience. You have the knowledge of what it takes to “run communications” for an organization, the talent for managing and implementing these tasks with colleagues, and the passion for communicating across multiple channels.
- Has the ability to design digital and print materials that align with Youth Collaboratory’s branding, but is loose enough to allow for creativity and experimentation. You can design materials for distribution through a variety of channels (email, web, meetings, and conferences), while also ensuring consistency with a single creative strategy.
- Has the ability to drive a communications strategy and personal work agenda, while working cooperatively in a team environment. You have experience being actively involved in the development of project plans and timelines related to communication, marketing, and dissemination, and have worked collaboratively with colleagues to meet deliverable deadlines, making mutually agreed upon adjustments when feasible.
- Communicates clearly and consistently. You understand how to produce content with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar, as well as person-first and jargon-free language.
- Has experience using various tools in a communicator’s toolbox. You are proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, Drupal, MailChimp, Salesforce, social media platforms, and photo, video, and audio editing software. You also have the ability to quickly learn new software, as needed.
- Excels in a fast-moving and scrappy environment. You like to work on a timetable of days and weeks, not months and years. You can make anything work with a little duct tape and creativity.
- Is cool with working in a virtual office and can communicate effectively via any medium — Adobe Connect, Google Hangout, email, etc.
- Take vacation when you need it. We hire competent people who do great work and encourage you to take a break when you need it. We ask employees to take three weeks of vacation per year, and provide an annual $1,000 vacation bonus that can only be used if you are really off, so you can come back fresh.
- You’re encouraged to have a life and a family (if you want one). We offer a generous supply of holidays and personal leave combined with health benefits.
- Awesome team. You'll be collaborating with a brilliant team that’s having real impact. If work like this makes you want to get out of bed each morning, you should definitely apply.
We’re looking to fill this position as soon as possible.
Anywhere, USA (Pittsburgh, PA is a plus)
Youth Collaboratory does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or expression, socioeconomic status, physical or mental ability, veteran status, marital status, cultural background, or any other characteristic protected by law with hiring, retention, promotion, benefits, or compensation.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, along with brief responses to the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please provide a short answer to each of the following questions (no more than 1-2 paragraphs per question):
- Take a look at Youth Collaboratory’s Facebook page. Identify two new pieces of content (e.g. stories, news) that could be added to our Facebook page that would be of interest to our audience, and is aligned with our current social media tone and content. Create a new Facebook post for each one.
- Share an original digital or print material (via link or attachment) that you designed of which you are really proud, and explain why you are proud of it.
- Describe a time when you were in charge of managing a project. Tell us how you engaged the people necessary to implement the project, and how you managed the project to hold the group accountable to the project deliverables.
- What about the Communications Manager position and Youth Collaboratory aligns with what you are looking for in your next professional position?